Roanoke Animal Hospital has the distinction of being accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association longer than any other veterinary hospital in Virginia. We are proud to have continuously met the high standards required of AAHA since 1950, initially under the tutelage of our founder, the late Dr. Alvin Rice.
When Dr. Rice founded Roanoke Animal Hospital in 1947, he treated farm animals, horses, as well as small animal pets. In the early years, a section of our hospital served as the living quarters for he and his family. The living quarters were eventually remodeled and incorporated into hospital space as the practice grew. Over time, additions were added to accommodate a multi-doctor practice.
Dr. Mark Finkler joined the practice in 1982 and eventually purchased it from Dr. Rice. Both men share a history of being involved in organized veterinary medicine. They both served terms as President of the Virginia Veterinary Medical Association and the Roanoke Valley Veterinary Medical Association. Recognizing the rapid scientific advances in veterinary medicine, they both have placed an emphasis on continuing education for themselves, their associate doctors and their staff.